What is this guide?
This is, as the cover says, a mini guide to kickstart your voice-over career. I have over 6 years of experience in freelance voice-over work and have worked for companies both big and small across the years. I have a 4.9/5 rating on Bionluk (the equivalent of Fiver in my country) with a total of 192 orders/jobs for clients (with 138 of them being repeat clients.)
If you'd like to listen to some of my past work, check out my portfolio here: https://www.melissaclissold.com/portfolio.html
Through this guide, I've tried to share some of the answers I was looking for when I first started as well as the answers to some questions people have asked me too! I hope you'll find it useful.
Who is it for?
This guide is for absolutely anyone who is eager to explore freelance voice-acting! This work came to me sort of by accident—and I'm glad that it did, because it opened up a new alley I didn't even know existed.
How to use it?
Read it beginning to end, skim through, that's up to you. (I promise I wasn't trying to rhyme here).
What's in it? (Content)
- My story; a short background to how I got into my freelance voice-over career.
- FAQ’S; questions I asked myself (and answers that I found through trial & error.)
- Where do I start?
- Why do I need a demo?
- How do I record a demo?
- How do I get gigs?
- What equipment do I need?
- What software should I use? (How do I record my voice, and where?)
- How do I edit my voice? (Or what in the world is EQ’ing & mixing?)
- How do I price my work?
- Where am I now; and where am I going?
For any errors you may spot or suggestions you may have, please email firstname.lastname@example.org